When Nick Peterson talks about welding, his eyes light up. "A lot of people see welding as just fusing metal together," he said. "I don't. You have to have that little touch to make it look great. It brings out my creative side."
How do we get children excited about entering the workforce? The answer isn’t in a textbook, and it’s not often in a classroom. It’s with hands-on activities and opportunities to experience a taste of what their future may hold. With that in mind, the Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce recently held CAREEROCKIT, a weeklong program aimed at providing 10,000 student experiences, half tech-related, to launch future careers.
In the pre-dawn drizzle of an early fall day, commuters in Evanston, Illinois, a suburb just north of Chicago, watch an inbound Metra train pull into the station at precisely 6:13 a.m. They line up where they know doors will most likely open and sort themselves out, some heading to the upper deck for the tree-top view.
Meet Matt Wallace. An avid rock climber and a decent skier, Wallace graduated from Temple University last May with a bachelor's degree in journalism. The 25-year-old go-getter is optimistic about an upcoming job interview. Later this month he's looking forward to moving out of his parents' house to live with a roommate.
In a few weeks, four much needed ambulances will begin their journey to Xalapa, Mexico, in specially modified uni-level rail cars.
- Patriot Award Honors Employers of Those Who Serve 02022016
- Railroader Debuts at Carnegie Hall 12232015
- Houston Literacy Program Strives to Break Cycle of Poverty 12182015
- Hooves and Paws Strike at the Heart of UP Employee 12092015
- When the Railroad Comes to Town 12042015
- UP Delivers Huge Holiday Tradition 11232015
- The Feel-Good Story that Keeps Giving 10302015
- Machinist Uses Basketball to Teach Children Financial Literacy 09242015
- Camp Provides Picture of Railroad for Visually Impaired Children 09042015
- Hundreds Re-Enact Westernmost Civil War Battle 08122015
- Track Inspector's Good Deed Goes Viral 08052015
- Paz De Cristo Community Center Empowers People in Need 07022015