Key Performance Indicators

Operating Safely20112012
Rail crossing accidents
(per million train miles)
2.112.38
Reportable injury rate
(per 200,000 employee-hours)
1.15, 16% improvement1.01, 12% improvement
Public outreachMore than 8,000 events reached 700,000 peopleAbout 8,500 events reached 704,000 people
Strengthening Communities20112012
Reported net income$3.3 billion$3.9 billion
Operating revenue$19.6 billion$20.9 billion
Capital Investment
private funds, no taxpayer dollars
$3.2 billion$3.7 billion
Spend with minority- and women-owned businessess$370 million$430 million
Customer Satisfaction
(average score, internal scoring system)
9293
Engaging Employees20112012
Percent of Employees Unionized86%86%
Workforce Diversity
U.S.Population
2011 Census Data
78% Caucasian
13% Black
17% Hispanic

5% Asian
1% Native American
* Census data permits reporting of more than one race.


78.1%
95% Male, 5% Female
74% Caucasian
11% Black
12% Hispanic
1% Asian
2% Native American
95% Male, 5% Female
74% Caucasian
11% Black
12% Hispanic
1% Asian
2% Native American
Preserving
the Environment
20112012
Energy usage47,297,782 MWh46,350,105 MWh
Water usage
Withdrawals
3.02 million gallons2.55 million gallons
GHG Emissions
Locomotive fossil fuel emissions (scope 1)
Produced 11,380,842 metric tons of GHG emissions – a 5% increase from 2010 (gross ton miles increased by 5%)Produced 11,149,798 metric tons of GHG emissions – a 2% decrease from 2011 (gross ton miles decreased by 2%)
GHG Emissions
Fossil fuel emissions (scopes 1 and  2)
Produced 12,265,017 metric tons of GHG emissionsProduced 12,002,685 metric tons of GHG emissions
GHG Emissions
Employee travel (scope 3)
15,661 metric tons16,932 metric tons
Waste 
Total waste generated
Tonnage Diverted from landfills
 
1.25 million tons
73%
 
1.06 million tons
75%
E-Waste
  
Found new homes for 16% of all outdated electronic assets and recycled or reused the remaining 84%Found new homes for 22% of all outdated electronic assets, andrecycled or reused the remaining 78%