Sustainability and Citizenship Goals
Fuel Consumption Rate and GHG Emissions Goal
Our goal is to reduce Union Pacific’s locomotive fuel consumption rate by 1 percent annually from 2011 to 2015, as measured on a gross-ton mile basis, resulting in greenhouse gas emissions reduction of 1 percent annually.
Attaining our goal would represent a 23 percent fuel efficiency improvement over that five-year span, using 2000 performance as the benchmark. We did not make our goal in 2012, with fuel efficiency mirroring 2011, a result of a change in our freight traffic mix. Specifically, coal volumes were down 14 percent. Coal is our most efficiently transported commodity because it moves in unit trains.
Union Pacific’s strategy is to create customer value by working safely, delivering excellent service, driving efficiency, generating strong shareholder returns and reinvesting in our railroad.
We work to grow our business profitably and responsibly and look for ways to reduce our environmental footprint. Specifically, our sustainability and citizenship goals are to:
- Operate a safe, efficient and environmentally responsible rail network that supports the highest levels of customer service.
- Provide employees with the safest work environment in the industry.
- Constantly improve employee, customer and public safety through training, education and investment.
- Develop employee programs and processes that make us an employer of choice.
- Invest in our network infrastructure to enhance safety, service and productivity.
- Grow our business profitably and responsibly in order to invest in future growth and make a positive impact on our communities, customers and shareholders.
Zeroing in on Safety
No injury is acceptable. That’s why we remain steadfast on our ultimate goals:
- Zero employee injuries
- Zero trespasser incidents
- Zero vehicle grade crossing accidents
- Zero train derailments