Carload Rate Based Standard HDF Fuel Surcharge
Union Pacific's carload rate based standard HDF fuel surcharge program is based on the Department of Energy (DOE) On-Highway Diesel Fuel Price (US Average). Information about actual fuel surcharges applied and details about the program are included below.
This fuel surcharge program will apply as follows:
- Fuel surcharge will be adjusted on a monthly basis.
- The basis for the surcharge will be determined by the U.S. Average price of DOE On-Highway Diesel Fuel for a calendar month, as reported weekly on the U.S. Department of Energy website (www.eia.doe.gov).
- In the event the average monthly price of Retail On-Highway Diesel Fuel, equals or exceeds $1.35 per gallon, a surcharge beginning at 1.5% will apply.
- For every five cent increase above $1.35 per gallon, the surcharge applied will increase by 0.5%. See the threshold schedule for more details.
- When the average DOE price drops below $1.35 per gallon, no fuel surcharge will apply.
- The surcharge will be billed to applicable shipments beginning the second month following the month on which the DOE average price calculation was based. (Example: the average reported DOE price for the month of February 2007 would determine the fuel surcharge applied throughout the month of April 2007.)
- Fractions of dollars resulting from the application of a fuel surcharge will be dropped if less than fifty (50) cents and increased to the next whole dollar if fifty (50) cents or more.
This surcharge became effective with shipments billed on or after June 1, 2003. The fuel surcharge will be applied to the line haul freight charge(s) that make reference to this fuel cost recovery program.
This program does not affect UP's existing Intermodal surcharge program.
The DOE price is reported weekly on the U.S. Department of Energy Website.
Fuel Surcharge Rate
|Basis month||HDF Avg.|
|Oct 2016||11.5%||Aug 2016||$2.351|
|Sep 2016||12.0%||Jul 2016||$2.405|
|Aug 2016||12.0%||Jun 2016||$2.423|
|Jul 2016||11.0%||May 2016||$2.315|
|Jun 2016||9.5%||Apr 2016||$2.152|
|May 2016||8.5%||Mar 2016||$2.090|
|Apr 2016||7.5%||Feb 2016||$1.998|
|Mar 2016||9.0%||Jan 2016||$2.143|
|Feb 2016||11.0%||Dec 2015||$2.309|
|Jan 2016||12.5%||Nov 2015||$2.467|
|Dec 2015||13.0%||Oct 2015||$2.519|
|Nov 2015||13.0%||Sep 2015||$2.505|
|Oct 2015||13.5%||Aug 2015||$2.595|
|Sep 2015||15.5%||July 2015||$2.788|
|Aug 2015||16.5%||June 2015||$2.873|
|Jul 2015||16.5%||May 2015||$2.888|
|Jun 2015||15.5%||Apr 2015||$2.782|
|May 2015||16.5%||Mar 2015||$2.897|
|Apr 2015||16.5%||Feb 2015||$2.858|
|Mar 2015||17.5%||Jan 2015||$2.997|
|Feb 2015||22.0%||Dec 2014||$3.411|
|Jan 2015||24.0%||Nov 2014||$3.647|