Wireline Installation Procedures for New Wireline Crossings
- If it is necessary to enter the railroad company's property to conduct a survey for the completion of required location information in this application, the Permit To Be On Railroad Property for Utility Survey [13K PDF] form must be printed, executed and returned following the instructions given in the permit.
- Please complete our online application process and avoid the time delays, expense and uncertainty of mailing the application to us. Please review the Sample Copy of Exhibit "A" which is provided to enable you to complete the form as accurately as possible. In addition, any application not conforming to railroad minimum standards, as defined in the Engineering Specifications, will delay processing. If there is a valid reason why compliance with the railroad standards is not possible, these reasons must be clearly explained or the application will be rejected and returned to you for further explanation.
- If possible, please provide a city, county or topographical map of the area, showing the proposed installation.
- When using a street name on the application that has been changed, please include the current name as well as any previous name. Many of the old railroad company maps do not reflect these name changes.
- Please refer to the information on Fixed Object Identity for examples to assist you in locating "fixed objects." Your crossing must be tied to one of these objects.
- Generally, agreement processing time will be approximately 30 to 45 days. Please allow sufficient lead time for document handling prior to desired construction date. Before construction begins, agreements must be executed by the Licensee and returned to this office. Verbal authorizations will not be permitted or granted. Generally, a minimum of 48 hours' advance notice after execution of an agreement will be required prior to entry.
- License fees and insurance certificates, if required, must be submitted at the time you execute and return the agreement. Because license fees are based on property values, we will only be able to provide you with fee information after your application has been reviewed and approved.
- Depending on the scope of the work and proximity to our tracks we may require that Railroad Protective Liability Insurance be obtained, in addition to general liability insurance. We have acquired a blanket Railroad Protective Liability Insurance policy which may allow inclusion of your project under our coverage for an additional charge. We've found that in many instances it may be cheaper for the contractor to do this than to obtain their own coverage. However, we do encourage you to shop around, as you may find a more favorable rate. An application form and additional information on Railroad Protective Liability Insurance through UPRR can be found in this section.
- Licensee shall have in place and in full force during the life of the agreement General Liability, Automotive Liability and Worker' Compensation and Employer's Liability. See General Insurance Requirements.
- Note: Only Applications that are prepared on our standard application form identified as Exhibit "A" will be accepted.
- Questions? Need Assistance? Check the Pipeline, Wireline, Right of Entry and Drainage Contacts for the names of those who can help.
Please submit Online Application Form for Wireline Installations.