In the wee hours of the morning, as his train rumbled through sugar cane fields in central Louisiana, Locomotive Engineer Cory Van Mol watched in disbelief as a farm tractor failed to yield at a private crossing.
Safe Crossings Start Here: Safe Kids Worldwide, 'Chuggington' Help Union Pacific Educate Families Nationwide
Safe Kids and "Chuggington," with support from Union Pacific, have developed resources and materials to educate parents, teens and children about the importance of rail safety.
Signal Maintainer Scott Davis recently completed training as an Operation RedBlock and Peer Support volunteer to learn how to help others. But nine months ago, the Engineering employee from Wamsutter, Wyoming, needed someone to answer his own call.
The first time a Union Pacific fire-fighting crew tried to reach the Dry Canyon Bridge in Northern California, they had to turn back. The risk of being trapped by the Lava Fire sweeping across the Shasta-Trinity National Forest was too high.
When there’s an emergency and you pick up the phone to report, you always hope there’s a hero on the other line who knows the next step. At Union Pacific, those heroes are the Response Management Communications Center's critical call dispatchers who are ready to respond to emergencies 24/7.
As a third generation railroader, Brad Brown, welder, Engineering, has been around the tracks for most of his life, and he’s seen a lot of changes over those years — including in his own experience.
- Safety Program Virtually Puts Teens in Driver Seat 02032021
- Popular Animated Characters Make Rail Safety 'Traintastic' 09212020
- Preparing for the Once-in-a-Career Call 03062019
- This Traffic Ticket Could Save Your Life 09262018
- Problem on the Tracks? Call Us First 09262018
- Big Data Tech Helps Predict Rail Failure 09182018
- Removing Mental Health Stigma Key to Suicide Prevention 09072018
- Through Dirt, Rock and Water: Reopening Tunnel No. 11 07182018
- Positive Train Control: Complex Technology Framework Explained 04262018
- How America's Top Railroad Learns to Fly 12052017
- Cross or Don't Cross: The Decision Could Save Your Life 08172017
- Heavy Metal No Match for New Tech Harnessing Steel Vibrations 06282017