- Decreased the rate of grade crossing incidents from 2.38 to 2.22.
- Promoted rail safety in 12 key Union Pacific communities through the company’s public safety advertising campaign.
- Awarded 21 grants to community-owned railroad safety initiatives, reaching an estimated 230,000 people.
- Held about 9,000 UP CARES public safety outreach and training events, reaching more than 616,330 people.
- Hired approximately 3,450 employees, about 25 percent of whom are military veterans.
- Supported more than 2,500 nonprofit organizations.
- Increased the company’s spending with women- and minorityowned suppliers by approximately 11 percent since 2012.
- Invested $3.6 billion of total capital in Union Pacific’s network and operations to support America’s freight transportation infrastructure.
- Employed nearly 46,500 people primarily in 23 states.
- Hosted 2,000 employees at the company’s wellness expo to meet with benefit plan providers and learn from health experts.
- Conducted more than 3.3 million hours of formal employee training.
- Provided financial assistance through Union Pacific’s Friend to Friend Network to approximately 700 families of active or retired railroaders who suffered a health- or dwelling-related tragedy.
Preserving the Environment
- Eliminated an estimated 33.7 million metric tons of greenhouse gases thanks to our customers choosing rail over truck transportation.
- Diverted from landfills more than 830,000 tons of waste, which accounts for an estimated 77 percent of our waste.
- Recycled or distributed more than 400,000 pounds of electronic equipment and nearly 1.4 million pounds of signal batteries.
- Completed testing an ultra-low emitting Genset locomotive fitted with diesel particulate filters to further reduce particulate matter emissions beyond its normal low level.