The Central Pacific Railroad reached Auburn from Sacramento in May 1865, and created a whole new section of the community. Due to the geography of the area, the railroad was placed about a mile to the east of the major settlement. After the arrival of the railroad, the city expanded to the east and began to infill between the older part of town and the railroad depot.
In 1909-10, the Southern Pacific double-tracked the area creating an east bound line and a west bound line. A major trestle was constructed, which now passes over Interstate 80 and has become one of the symbols of the community. Auburn has been part of the transcontinental rail system for 147 years and is proud of what the railroad has contributed to the development of the community.