Union Pacific's east/west rail line through Dexter was built by the Cairo, Arkansas and Texas in 1873. In May 1874, the Cairo, Arkansas and Texas, and the St. Louis and Iron Mountain Railroad were consolidated with the Cairo and Fulton Railroad Company (Arkansas). This new company was named St. Louis, Iron Mountain and Southern Railway Company. The St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern was acquired by Missouri Pacific Railway in 1881. Both railroads were reorganize and merged, forming the Missouri Pacific Railroad in 1917. Union Pacific and Missouri Pacific merged in 1982.
The north/south rail line near Dexter was built by The St. Louis, Arkansas and Texas Railroad in 1889. The line went into two receiverships and after the second receivership, the reorganization of the St. Louis, Arkansas & Texas became the St. Louis Southwestern Railway Company, which was incorporated in Texas on January 12, 1891, and in Missouri on January 16, 1891. The St. Louis Southwestern Railway Company became part of the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1932. Union Pacific and Southern Pacific merged in 1996.