Evanston’s roundhouse and rail yard was built between 1912 and 1914 by Union Pacific, and the 27-acre complex was used to primarily service and repair rail cars and engines. The semicircular roundhouse is one of a very few completely intact and still-standing structures of its kind, and the only one left on the Union Pacific line between Omaha and Sacramento. Its curved walls are 80 feet high. It has a total of 28 train stalls accessible by turntable, which still is operational. At its peak, and for many years, the facility employed more than 300 workers, making it a major hub of employment in the community.