Announcement Number: CN2022-31
Categories: General Announcements
Posted Date: May 24, 2022
To Our Customers,
Over the last month, we’ve continued to work with you to remove Operating Inventory, and as you can see in the metrics below, the effort is having an impact.
Union Pacific is closely monitoring three key Operating metrics as indicators of network fluidity and reporting weekly to the Surface Transportation Board.
Last Week’s Progress: May 13 through May 20
- Operating Car Inventory: Removed 3,340 cars from our inventory, which reflects active inventory minus cars placed at customers’ facilities.
- Car Velocity: Increased from 188 to 191 miles per day.
- Train Speed: Increased slightly from 23.7 mph to 23.8 mph.
Progress April 16 through May 20
- Operating Car Inventory: Removed 13,548 cars from our inventory.
- Car Velocity: Increased from 177 to 191 miles per day.
- Train Speed: Increased from 22.9 mph to 23.8 mph.
As always, our Operating key metrics are reported weekly to the American Association of Railroads.
Another key part of recovering network fluidity is hiring, and we continue to make progress. As of May 20, we have 743 new hires who began TE&Y training in 2022; 263 have graduated.