Announcement Number: CN2022-41
Categories: General Announcements
Posted Date: July 29, 2022
To Our Customers,
The entire Union Pacific team continues to be laser focused on improving our service, and we know there is more work to be done. While our metrics have improved since mid-April, we slipped in the past week as a result of extreme heat across a large portion of our network, which caused track and locomotive problems resulting in an increase of trains held.
The following metrics as of July 22 are compared to performance in mid-April:
- Car Velocity: Improved 2% to 181 miles per day.
- First Mile, Last Mile: Flat.
- Trip Plan Compliance (TPC):
- TPC Bulk: Improved 7 points to 73%
- TPC Manifest: Improved 9 points to 68%
- TPC Intermodal: Degraded 4 points to 69%
- Operating Inventory: Decreased by 5% to 191,431 cars. This reflects active inventory minus cars placed at customers’ facilities.
Crews remain a priority, and Union Pacific continues to make progress toward our goal to hire and train 1,400 train crew employees in 2022. So far this year, 535 graduated, including more than 300 since May 6, and more than 550 are in training. Additionally, more than 200 borrow outs are in service, primarily in the Northern Region.
We continue to strategically return some Union Pacific-owned cars into the network. As performance improves, we will continue this effort, balancing the need to add additional cars while increasing Car Velocity and reducing cycle times.
As always, our metrics are publicly available at UP.com and reported weekly to the Association of American Railroads.
Thank you for your business. We appreciate your continued patience and loyalty as we work to provide the service you deserve.