Car Overloading Policy
Allowance for exceeding the Gross Rail Load (GRL) of any car type is to be determined by the following:
- Cars with allowable GRL of Greater than 263K pounds are allowed to be loaded and run at 2,000 pounds over the GRL. Example: 286K GRL will be allowed to go to 288K GRL. Cars exceeding the 2,000 pounds above GRL will be Bad Ordered and the load must be reduced to below the GRL plus 2000 pound limit.
- Note: Trains going over Cajon Pass and Cima Hill, utilizing 286K GRL equipment, are limited to a maximum of 143 Tons per operative brake.
- Cars with allowable GRL of 263,000 pounds are allowed to be loaded and run at 268,000 pounds. Cars exceeding the 268,000 pounds will be Bad Ordered and the load must be reduced to below the 268,000 pound limit.
- Cars exceeding the 263K GRL must comply with the Union Pacific Policy for Greater Than 263K GRL. This requires the approval of the Union Pacific Mechanical Department, Clearance Bureau and Risk Management.
For more information, please contact:
- Casey Dyer at 402-544-8845
- Colleen Zbylut at 402-544-5085