Arkansas Midland Railway Company, Inc. AKMD #77
Nature of Firm
AKMD operates 112 miles of track in Arkansas over five disconnected lines. One line runs from Mountain Pine through Hot Springs to a UP connection at Malvern, Arkansas, (33.3 miles). A second line runs from Helena to a connection with UP at Lexa, Arkansas, (12 miles). The third segment comprises two lines that connect with the UP at North Little Rock, Arkansas. One line runs 6.6 miles to Galloway and the other is 7.4 miles, consisting of the Carlisle Industrial Lead. The fourth line is from Warren to Dermott, Arkansas, (39.4 miles), with 5.6 miles of trackage rights to interchange at McGehee, Arkansas. The fifth line connects the UP McGehee Yard to Cypress Bend (10 miles) and includes the Potlach Spur (3.4 miles). Traffic consists of forest and grain products, aggregates, building materials, cottonseeds and chemicals.
The Mountain Pine line was built by the Hot Springs Railroad and opened January 25, 1876, as a 3-foot gauge line, Hot Springs Railroad was sold to the Choctow, Oklahoma & Gulf (Rock Island) in 1902. The Helena branch was built by the Iron Mountain & Helena Railroad chartered in 1879 and purchased by the St. Louis & Iron Mountain in 1882. The Galloway to North Little Rock line was a former Rock Island Line. These three lines were purchased from the MP by the current operator on February 23, 1992. The Carlisle Industrial Lead which is a former Rock Island line was leased to the current operators by the UP on August 11, 2000. The Warren branch was leased to the current operators on December 13, 2004. In 2011, AKMD reacquired a three-mile section from Gurdon, Arkansas, to MP 429.45 miles north of Gurdon.
|Company Affiliation||Genesee & Wyoming, Inc.|
|Interchange Points||Gurdon, Malvern, Lexa, North Little Rock and McGehee, AR|
|Agreement Type||Handling Carrier|
|Information Exchange Method||RMI|