Columbia-Walla Walla Railway, CWW
Nature of Firm
Columbia-Walla Walla Railway (CWW), leases from Union Pacific 55 miles of line from Wallula, in the Tri-Cities, Washington area, east to Walla Walla, Washington and Weston, Oregon. Another line of 37 miles (Walla Walla to Dayton, Washington) is leased from Port of Columbia. CWW operates a consistent schedule and offers daily switching and two interchanges per week.
The territory is agriculturally productive both for vegetables and dryland grains and is supported by three active port agencies in Washington and Oregon. CWW has inventory of industrial development sites with rail and also has plentiful car storage space.
The "Walla Walla and Columbia River Railroad" was the first line-haul (non-portage) railroad line in the Northwest, reaching Walla Walla in 1875. It was built by Dr. Dorsey Baker of Walla Walla, originally with wooden rails to 3' gauge. Its primary purpose was to move wheat and passengers to steamships on the Columbia River. Lines which today reach to Weston and Dayton were added later by the Oregon Railway and Navigation Company, which had purchased the WW&CR in 1879 and which was ultimately purchased by the Union Pacific in 1899.
|Company Affiliation||Columbia Rail Group|
|Interchange Points||Wallula, WA|
|Agreement Type||Handling Carrier|
|Information Exchange Method||GE Railconnect 2 (RMI)|