How to Withdraw an A-card

Union organizers have been pressuring train dispatchers to sign A-cards. As explained in “No A-Card. No Election. No Union”, if the union does not obtain the minimum number of A-cards to make a sufficient showing of interest in representation, the National Mediation Board will not authorize a union election.

Some of you may have signed an A-card before you understood the impact of doing so. If you have changed your mind in light of the many benefits of remaining management (including pay, eligibility for bonus and equity awards, pension, 401K, and insurance benefits including for health, short term disability and long term disability), then you may still cancel or revoke your authorization card. It is not too late.

You can withdraw your A-card. It is your legal right.

The National Mediation Board's Representation Manual provides that individuals seeking to revoke their authorizations must go through the party to whom the original authorizations were furnished. If you have already submitted an A-card, a notification that includes your name, date, a statement that you are canceling your authorization, and your signature, should be sent to:

American Train Dispatchers Association
Ed Dowell, Secretary-Treasurer
4239 W. 150th Street
Cleveland, OH 44113

The NMB itself will not accept an attempt to cancel or revoke an authorization. You may wish to send the revocation notification by certified mail, and you should keep a copy for your records.

Please remember that signing an A-card has significant ramifications. It is important that you understand your rights. If you do not want to be in a union, you should not sign an A-card. If you have signed an A-card, you can revoke it.

Questions about the content of these pages?