Railroad Retirement Tax Refunds

We’re pleased to report that a Union Pacific court win entitles many current and former UP employees to refunds of Railroad Retirement and Medicare taxes on stock awards and certain lump-sum payments for ratification of labor agreements. Union Pacific filed refund claims, on behalf of itself and its employees, to receive a refund of these overcollected Railroad Retirement taxes for the years 1991 through 2017.


Certain current and former employees who received stock compensation (e.g. Retention Shares, Retention Units, Performance Units, or from exercising stock options) and/or lump-sum bonuses paid upon ratification of labor agreements during the years 1991 through 2017 are eligible. However, not everyone who received a stock award or lump-sum ratification bonus is eligible for a refund.

Claim Your Refund

Union Pacific has hired Epiq Class Action & Claims Solutions, Inc. to administer the refund process on our behalf. If you are eligible for a refund you should have received or will be receiving an email or letter in the mail.

For additional information or to file a claim online please contact the Union Pacific Tax Refund Administrator via one of the following methods: