Latino Employee Network (LEN) Scholarship Program
The mission of the Union Pacific Latino Employee Network is to recruit, retain and advance the careers of Latinx employees within Union Pacific by promoting a better understanding of the issues and concerns among Latinx employees and partnering with UP senior leadership on diversity issues. LEN also has established strong partnerships with the Omaha community through its social and cultural projects including the annual LEN Scholarship program.
Part of our mission and purpose is to advance the support and understanding of the Hispanic community and culture. As part of this mission, we award scholarships to high school and college students of Hispanic and Latin decent. Over the past four years we have awarded close to $40,000 in scholarships to students across Nebraska and Iowa.
The application is now open from Nov 1st, 2023 and the deadline for submission is March 1st, 2024 by 11:59pm.
All decisions are within the discretion of the Latino Employee Network Scholarship Committee and are final.
The survey will take approximately 45 minutes to complete. The Union Pacific Latino Employee Network (LEN) Scholarship Program is available to high school seniors and undergraduate students in their first four years of college who are committed to furthering their education. Students can win up to $4,000. Scholarship amounts will be distributed based on the discretion of the LEN scholarship selection committee. Students can apply for the scholarship during all four years of their undergraduate program. The award is intended to cover any expense related to obtaining an education – including tuition, fees, housing, books, and/or a computer.
To be eligible for the LEN Scholarship, a student must:
- Be of Latine/Hispanic heritage
- Be a resident of Nebraska or Iowa
- Not a child or dependent of Union Pacific Employee
- Planning to attend a college/university accredited by regional or national accreditation agency recognized by the Secretary of Education during the 2024 - 2025 academic year
- Be enrolled in the first four years of an undergraduate or technical degree program
- Have a GPA of 3.0 and higher on a 4.0 grade scale, or a 3.5 and higher on a 5.0 grade scale
- Have an individual Social Security Number
Applications must be summited and completed on time. Incomplete applications will not be considered, and the applicant will be disqualified. To be considered for the LEN Scholarship, a student must submit:
- Completed scholarship application with electronic signature of applicant
- High School or College Transcript - unofficial transcripts will be accepted - (send to email@example.com)
- Short Answer and Essay questions, submitted electronically
- One Letter of Recommendation. If submitted for the 2023/2024 school year please include a new recommendation. (send to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Professional Resume - (send to email@example.com)