"Union Pacific Railroad is committed to protecting the environment now and for future generations by continuously improving our management systems and operating efficiency while developing and investing in technology to reduce the company's environmental footprint.
Our employees understand that protecting the environment is part of every job. Union Pacific employees, customers, shareholders and the communities we serve and call home can expect our full compliance with all laws and regulations and the pursuit of continuous improvement in our environmental performance.
We are dedicated to sustainability through our leadership role in providing safe, reliable, fuel-efficient and environmentally responsible freight transportation of the goods American families and business need."
-- Lance Fritz, President & CEO
This commitment extends to all aspects of our business and includes active monitoring and management:
- Reporting regularly and engaging stakeholders on environmental issues.
- Pursuing a carbon-free operation.
- Using resources efficiently.
- Protecting water to minimize usage and reduce effluents.
- Conserving energy and investing in developing energy alternatives.
- Responsibly minimizing, disposing, recycling, and repurposing of waste, particularly hazardous wastes.
- Preventing, preparing for, and responding to emergencies.
- Preventing environmental contamination and restoring the environmental condition as a result of contamination for which we are responsible.
- Ensuring compliance with relevant environmental laws and regulations.
- Provide training opportunities for relevant employees to understand the impact our operations have on the environment, and to ensure compliance with applicable rules and regulations.
- Responsibly managing and preserving biodiversity in the areas in which we operate.