A very rare honor, Union Pacific has created only 17 commemorative locomotives in its more than 150 year history. Some pay homage to the our predecessors that merged into today's Union Pacific, while others recognize important organizations in American society.
Through the years, a series of mergers helped Union Pacific create the strongest franchise in North America. Union Pacific pays homage to those railroads, and the generations of men and women who helped to build a great nation, and the foundation for our future.
- UP No. 1995 Chicago & North Western Railroad (2006)
- UP No. 1988 Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad (2005)
- UP No. 1982 Missouri Pacific Railroad (2005)
- UP No. 1989 Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad (2006)
- UP No. 1996 Southern Pacific Railroad (2006)
- UP No. 1983 Western Pacific Railroad (2005)
In addition to being carried by more than 11,500 Torchbearers, in 2002 the Olympic Flame traveled via automobile, airplane, train, boat, dogsled, skier, horse-drawn sleigh, snowmobile, ice skaters and covered wagon.
- UP No. 2001
- UP No. 2002
The Olympic Flame traveled by railroad on a specially designed train for the 2002 Olympic Torch Relay, operated by Union Pacific Railroad. The train featured a specially created Cauldron Car for the Olympic Flame, two 2002 Olympic Winter Games custom-painted locomotives and 18 cars incorporating the Look of the 2002 Olympic Winter Games.
Union Pacific also transported the Olympic Flame more than 3,500 miles during the Olympic Torch Relay for the Atlanta 1996 Centennial Olympic Games.
- UP No. 1886
1996 Olympic Games
- UP No. 1996
1996 Olympic Games
Community Service Locomotives
- UP No. 7400, Pink Ribbon (C45AC, 2010)
- UP No. 1943, The Spirit, honoring U.S. Armed Forces (2017)
- UP No. 1111, Employee Pride (2019)
- UP No. 1979, "We Are One" Employee Resource Group (2021)
- UP No. 3593, Desert Victory (SD40-2, 1991)
- UP No. 3300, United Way (SD40-2, 1994)
- UP No. 4141, Tribute to President George Herbert Walker Bush (SD70ACe, 2005)
- UP No. 2010, Boy Scouts of America 100th Anniversary (C45ACCTE, 2010)