Iowa Northern Railway IANR #341
Nature of Firm
IANR owns and operates freight service from Cedar Rapids to Waterloo to Manly, IA (127 miles). Connections are made with UP at Manly, Waterloo and Cedar Rapids, IA. Traffic consists of grain and fertilizers. IANR operates freight service over a 23 mile line of railroad owned by D&W Railroad between Dewar and Oelwein, IA and over incidental trackage rights between Waterloo and Dewar. Traffic consists of freight car and grain products.
The major portion of the Manly to Cedar Rapids line was built by the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Railroad in the 1870’s. That line became part of the Rock Island. Short line service between Cedar Rapids and Vinton and from Shell Rock to Nora Springs started August 7, 1981. By mid-1982, the operations had been connected and expanded to the present size. In July 1984, the company purchased its line from the Rock Island estate for $5.4 million. In July 1994, IANR abandoned a 14 mile branch from Vinton to Dysart, IA. In October 2003, IANR began freight operations over the former UP line, acquired in the CNW merger. The line was constructed in the 1880’s and became part of the Chicago Great Western Railroad, which merged with CNW in 1968.
|Mailing Address|| |
Iowa Northern Railway
Daniel R. Sabin
|Interchange Points||Cedar Rapids, Waterloo, and Manly, IA|
|Agreement Type||ISS Carrier|
|Information Exchange Method||RMI|