Idaho Northern & Pacific Railroad INPR #331
Nature of Firm
INPR provides freight service over four former UP branch lines in southwestern Idaho and northeastern Oregon. The Oregon Division runs from a UP connection at La Grande to Elgin, OR (20.6 miles). The Idaho Division runs from a UP connection at Payette to Cascade, OR (100.9 miles). Traffic includes agricultural products, forest products, and chemicals.
The line from Payette to Emmett was built between 1906 and 1910 by the Payette Valley Railroad and acquired by the Oregon Short Line Railroad in August 1914. In 1914 the line was extended from Emmett to Cascade and beyond. The line in Oregon was built by the Oregon Railway and Navigation Company in stages through the 1890s. UP sold Idaho and Oregon Divisions to INPR on November 15, 1993. INPR filed for abandonment for a portion of the Oregon Division between Elgin to Joseph, OR (60.6 miles) in 1997. This line was purchase by Wallowa County and operates as the Wallowa Union Railroad Authority. In March 1999, INPR leased the Caldwell to Wilder Branch (11 miles), and the Boise Cutoff from Nampa to Hillcrest (24.8 miles). In November 2009, the lease for the Wilder Branch and Boise Cutoff was transferred to the Boise Valley Railroad.
|Company Affiliation||Rio Grande Pacific Corporation|
|Interchange Points||La Grande, OR; Payette, ID|
|Agreement Type||Handling Carrier|
|Information Exchange Method||RMI|