Property & Track Ownership Research

Due to the high volume of requests, we recommend outside parties research ownership thru external resources, such as Netr ( or thru local title companies.

To request Maps of railroad Right-of-Way and Station Grounds, please contact the UP Librarian at 402-501-4941 or Note that if your request is related to a form of litigation, you must contact the UP Law Department. Also, the Map Librarian does not provide deeds or information on such documents. You must research at your county assessor’s office or hire a surveyor to research title.

When contacting the UP Librarian, you are required to provide the following information:

  1. Description of what you are requesting and what you will use the map for.
  2. City, State, County of requested area.
  3. Nearest Railroad Mileposts and railroad subdivision. You may use the following link to locate this information (
  4. The original railroad company name, before it was sold, abandoned, retired, etc.
  5. Township, Range, and Sections.
  6. Your company name, address, city, state, zip code, phone number and e-mail address.
  7. Name of UPRR contact, if you are working with one.
  8. Name of Government agency, if working on a project with one (not as a subcontractor).

Note that a fee is associated with your request. Please contact the Map Librarian for more details on fees and delivery options of maps.