At-Grade Roadway (Crossing) Improvement Projects

Union Pacific routinely works with roadway authorities to allow improvements to existing roadways that are located on Union Pacific property. While these types of projects may seem easy at first glance, the amount of coordination between the agency and Union Pacific can take many months to get to construction.

Please refer to the Getting Started. information if your agency wishes to widen, resurface, perform maintenance, or perform other roadway improvement work.

Coordination between the agency and the railroad is required when working on railroad right of way, even when the agency has a roadway easement/right of way. The agency must review and consider alternative options to replacing/changing roadways on Union Pacific property, as well as consider overall safety concerns for both the railroad and highway users. This review should cover activities prior to, during and after work is to be performed.

  • Highways must be closed fully to roadway traffic for crossing replacement or major maintenance work.
  • Agreements are required for all work on Union Pacific property and near road crossings.
  • Safety regulations and policies require that a Union Pacific flagman may be required when an agency performs work on the Union Pacific’s property, and this cost shall be borne by the agency.
  • Union Pacific shall determine the crossing surface material type that meets current Union Pacific standards.
  • Drainage shall be addressed at all four quadrants of the crossing.
  • The unique DOT number for the crossing shall be provided to Union Pacific with any submittal in order to prevent any miscommunication regarding the location of proposed work.
  • Requests for the replacement of existing crossing surfaces should be made to the appropriate Manager of Industry & Public Projects. The railroad is responsible for performing the work from end of tie to end of tie, however, this work shall be at the agency’s expense.

To report an emergency, warning device issue, rough crossing, blocked crossing, vegetation issue or a community relations issue, please call the Union Pacific Grade Crossing Safety Hotline: 1-888-877-7267.