Preparation is critical to an appropriate incident response.
- HMM develops the Union Pacific Hazardous Materials Emergency Response Plan (HMERP), a performance-based plan that provides guidance to the individual reporting a release as well as a list of training requirements for those responding to an incident.
- Each Union Pacific operating division undergoes an annual unannounced drill to ensure all aspects of the HMERP are in place and followed by Union Pacific employees. The requirements include drills and exercises for specific plans for large oil storage tanks that fall under the Oil Pollution Act of 1990.
Providing no-cost training to public responders is Union Pacific's most substantial preparedness effort:
- Public responders may request training by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Having cataloged every fire department that may respond to an incident along the Union Pacific network, each year, HMM team members offer training or information to assist fire departments in their preparation for a potential incident.
- Training consists of classroom and hands-on activities using a specially designed training trailer or training tank car.
- Trainees learn how to contact the railroad during an emergency, how to read shipping documentation, derailment safety considerations, and what assets the railroad can provide in the event of an incident.
- HMM performs large-scale training events in collaboration with Union Pacific’s partners in TransCAER (Transportation Community Awareness and Emergency Response).
Training Courses Offered:
- Railroad 101: First responder safety when responding to a railroad emergency
- Crude By Rail Web-Based Training
- 40-hour Tank Car Safety Course: In depth classroom and hands on training for first responders located in Pueblo, CO, Tarrant County, TX, Longview, TX, California, Oregon
- Drills/Exercises: Specialy designed tank cars brought to your town to simulate response to tank car leaks.
- Tank Car Valves & Fittings: Specialy designed training trailers brought to your location as an introduction to tank cars
- TransCAER Events: Multi-day, mutli-modal training for multiple fire departments from a finite geographic area
Product Specific Training: May include Crude Oil, flammable liquds, PIHs. Taught in conjunction with ACC product experts.
- AskRail App for First Responders
- Federal Railroad Administration Crossing Locator
- Federal Railroad Administration GIS
- Department of Transportation Emergency Response Guide