Winter Weather Operations Update
Announcement Number: CN2021-15
Categories: General Announcements
Posted Date: February 19, 2021
To Our Customers,
We are making progress with our recovery efforts as weather improves across our network.
Midwest Region Impact
- The Chicago terminal is recovering from significant snowfall and working to resume normal operations.
Southern Region Impact
- Commercial power is slowly returning to locations, including Ft. Worth, Houston, the Gulf Coast south of Houston and Shreveport, Louisiana.
- The snowfall has ceased, but forecasts show extremely cold temperatures for one more night through much of the South including Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Houston, Little Rock, Memphis and New Orleans.
- Overnight we experienced downed trees in Louisiana between Monroe and Alexandria, which our Engineering forces are working to clear.
- Ongoing road closures continue to impact our ability to transport crews in several locations including areas west of Longview, Texas; south of Little Rock and between Shreveport and Alexandria, Louisiana.
- Areas in Arkansas, Missouri and specifically the St. Louis area are recovering from an extended snowfall event and working to resume normal operations.
Customers should continue to anticipate extended delays on shipments in the impacted areas until conditions improve and recovery efforts are complete.
Be Prepared for Service
It is especially important to offer safe access to your facility and be prepared for rail service during winter weather. All privately owned track must be cleared of snow and ice at industry, including rail switches, road crossings, walking paths and track right of way. Safety remains our top priority for our employees and customers during this recovery event.
How To Communicate Industry Curtailments
Customers in the affected area with facilities out of service as a result of the recent weather events should open a case in Case Management (user ID and password required). Select Create a Case in the Get Help box (select Search Criteria and enter an equipment ID for your location) and then choose Case Reason Manifest Equipment Transit Delays and Case Sub-Reason Facility Status Updates - Manifest Regions. Please include the information outlined below in the Description Field.
- Damage or tracks out of service
- Estimated facility repair time
- Resumption of operations
- Request service when repairs complete
We remain focused on delivering your freight as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Care & Support at 800-272-8777 or your Union Pacific representative.