Union Pacific's 'Living Legend' Steam Engine Delivers Look at History
Omaha, Neb., July 17, 2017
Union Pacific’s No. 844 steam locomotive will provide a close-up look at American transportation history as it departs July 20 for community stops in Colorado and Wyoming. Delivered in 1944, No. 844 is the last steam engine built for Union Pacific and recently underwent a nearly three-year restoration at Union Pacific’s steam shop in Cheyenne, Wyoming.
No. 844 is scheduled to pull The Denver Post Cheyenne Frontier Days train Saturday, July 22, between two important Union Pacific communities, Cheyenne and Denver. In conjunction with the trip, steam train stops are scheduled in Greeley, Colorado, and Cheyenne, Wyoming:
- Thursday, July 20 – 11:00 – 11:15 a.m. MT, 10th Street Crossing in Greeley
- Thursday, July 20 – 12:15 – 12:30 p.m. MT, E 69th Avenue and Fairfax Drive in Adams City
- Saturday, July 22 – 8:30 – 8:45 a.m. MT, 8th Street Crossing in Greeley
- Saturday, July 22 – 10 – 10:30 a.m. MT, 121 W 15th Street
- Saturday, July 22 – 6:30 – 6:45 p.m. MT, 10th Street Crossing in Greeley
- Sunday, July 23 – 2:45 – 3:00 p.m. MT, 8th Street Crossing in Greeley
Due to the dynamic nature of these operations, scheduled times and locations are subject to change. A comprehensive schedule including locations and display times – as well as a route map and a GPS monitor of No. 844’s location – is available at: upsteam.com.
ABOUT UNION PACIFIC
Union Pacific Railroad is the principal operating company of Union Pacific Corporation (NYSE: UNP). One of America's most recognized companies, Union Pacific Railroad connects 23 states in the western two-thirds of the country by rail, providing a critical link in the global supply chain. From 2006-2015, Union Pacific invested approximately $33 billion in its network and operations to support America's transportation infrastructure. The railroad's diversified business mix includes Agricultural Products, Automotive, Chemicals, Coal, Industrial Products and Intermodal. Union Pacific serves many of the fastest-growing U.S. population centers, operates from all major West Coast and Gulf Coast ports to eastern gateways, connects with Canada's rail systems and is the only railroad serving all six major Mexico gateways. Union Pacific provides value to its roughly 10,000 customers by delivering products in a safe, reliable, fuel-efficient and environmentally responsible manner.
The statements and information contained in the news releases provided by Union Pacific speak only as of the date issued. Such information by its nature may become outdated, and investors should not assume that the statements and information contained in Union Pacific's news releases remain current after the date issued. Union Pacific makes no commitment, and disclaims any duty, to update any of this information.
- Schedule for 2017's Cheyenne Frontier Days Special
- About Steam Locomotive No. 844 History and Statistics for UP's "Living Legend"
- Steam Locomotive Tracking
- @UP_Steam Follow No. 844 on Twitter with location updates