Announcement Number: CN2022-47
Categories: General Announcements
Posted Date: August 26, 2022
To Our Customers,
We remain committed to provide you with transparency as we work to improve service across the network and want to share our latest report to the Surface Transportation Board (STB). Please note that these weekly metrics are calculated based on the definitions stated in the STB order.
Our network performance has remained steady as compared to the prior report submitted on August 5. Our crew availability continues to improve, and the number of trains held for crews decreased to the lowest number reported so far in 2022.
Crews remain a priority, and Union Pacific continues to make progress toward our goal to hire and train 1,400 train crew employees in 2022. As of August 19, we have graduated 642 employees, and nearly 470 are in training. Additionally, more than 220 borrow outs are currently in service, primarily in the northern portion of our network.
The following weekly metrics as of August 19, are compared to performance in mid-April. The metrics are based on the STB definitions for industry reporting:
- Car Velocity: Improved 8% to 190 miles per day.
- First Mile, Last Mile: Improved 1 point to 91%.
- Trip Plan Compliance (TPC):
- TPC Bulk: Improved 8 points to 74%.
- TPC Manifest: Improved 8 points to 67%.
- TPC Intermodal: Degraded 12 points to 61%.
- Operating Inventory: Decreased by 3% to 195,601 cars. This reflects active inventory minus cars placed at customers’ facilities.
We continue to assess the network and adjust our resources to support the demand while maintaining fluidity.
As always, our Key Performance Metrics are publicly available and reported weekly to the Association of American Railroads. We appreciate your continued patience and as we work to provide the service you deserve.