Chicago Global 2 Expansion, Upgrade, and Global 1 Consolidation
Announcement Number: PR2023-54
Categories: Domestic Intermodal Terminals,All Premium
Posted Date: May 15, 2023
To Our Domestic Intermodal Customers:
Union Pacific has invested more than $150 million in the expansion and upgrade of our Chicago Global 2 intermodal terminal facility, in Chicago (Northlake), Illinois. As a result of these investments Global 1 operations will be consolidated into the Global 2 operation on June 19, 2023.
Global 2 investments include:
- Increased total throughput lift capability by 95% (almost double)
- Increased paved parking by 160% (more than 2.5 times)
- Increased ramp staffing by 20%
- Increased working track by 80%
- Purchased 6 new cranes, 3 of which are hybrid battery electric
- New and larger automated outgate off Wolf Road and Lake Street
- Expanded UPGo by 50% (2-more lanes) at outgate, and by 33% (1-more lane) at ingate
- Going live with world class technology in Precision Gate (PGT) prior to consolidation
For your advance planning:
- Last ingates at Global 1 for Denver, Colorado and City of Industry, California will be 20:00 CT Sunday, June 18, 2023. Thereafter, all ingates should be directed to Global 2.
- Effective 00:00 PT Wednesday, June 14, 2023, please begin waybilling shipments originating at our City of Industry intermodal terminal for Global 1 to Global 2.
We are confident that the advantages of this consolidation will result in a positive customer experience through efficiency in drayage management, balance of assets, and simplicity in logistics planning.
Contact your Union Pacific sales representative today to learn more.
If you have any questions please contact your Union Pacific representative.