Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information for Union Pacific Customers
- Customer News from Kenny Rocker, EVP, Marketing & Sales
- Temporary EMP/UMAX Standard Intermodal Customer Per Diem Changes - March 23
- Ramp Fluidity / Per Diem - March 18
- Union Pacific Oakland Intermodal Terminal to Remain Open - March 17
Response Management Communications Center: 800-272-8777 for reporting critical incidents affecting public safety.
Union Pacific initiated a cross-departmental pandemic planning team that developed business continuity plans for the possibility of a pandemic, including identifying employees essential to maintaining operations. We have a core team of health and safety professionals on hand to respond to infectious disease outbreaks, including COVID-19.
Union Pacific has established the following information for customers during a pandemic.
Rail Network Status
Our rail network is currently fluid as there are no areas impacted for service due to COVID-19. Recently, the U.S., Canada and Mexico governments agreed to border restrictions on non-essential travel. These border closures do not apply to freight shipments related to international trade. We do not expect any impacts to shipments crossing the border at this time.
In addition, several states in the U.S. have issued “shelter in place” orders. However, on March 19, the Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Agency (CISA) issued an initial list of Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers that includes employees responsible for operating freight, passenger and commuter trains, as well as maintaining rail infrastructure and equipment. Likewise, many of our customers have also received exemptions from the shelter in place ordinances and continue to operate. Union Pacific will provide service to support communities in the continuity of functions critical to public health and safety, as well as economic and national security.
- Ensure key headquarters and plant personnel are registered with a MyUPRR user ID and password. This will allow access to report a Service Issue and enables sign-up for important Union Pacific notifications. Register for a MyUPRR user ID and password now.
- Once setup with a MyUPRR user ID and password, sign up for Marketing Notifications and select Customer News notifications to receive pandemic updates by email.
- Sign-up to receive Union Pacific embargo notices by logging into our notification dashboard and selecting Embargo Hold. You may also sign-up to receive all AAR embargoes.
Quick Links to Contact Union Pacific
Is your community or company under quarantine and need to take action with rail shipments? Please see the following links to assist you with rail operations:
- If your facility has or will experience a complete closure due to COVID-19, please provide the Command Center a timeline that specifies when plant operations will cease. To begin, trace equipment (user ID and password required) at your facility or enroute, enabling us to confirm your facility location. Once you've completed the equipment trace, submit a service issue request via the "Create Service Issue" link at the top of the trace page, followed by "FACILITY DISRUPTION" under the Problem Reason menu. Your service issue also must include applicable special requirements (i.e. unit train, special switch, etc.).
- Divert inbound flow of cars via Diversion application. Request a Diversion now (user ID and password required).
- Re-bill inbound Rail Security Sensitive Material cars (Toxic Inhalation Hazard, Poison Inhalation Hazard) via Diversion application. Request a Diversion now (user ID and password required).
Review our current embargoes to see if your area is impacted.