Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information for Union Pacific Customers
- Customer News from Marketing & Sales
Response Management Communications Center: 800-272-8777 for reporting critical incidents affecting public safety.
Union Pacific initiated a cross-departmental pandemic planning team that developed business continuity plans for the possibility of a pandemic, including identifying employees essential to maintaining operations. We have a core team of health and safety professionals on hand to respond to infectious disease outbreaks, including COVID-19.
Union Pacific has established the following information for customers during a pandemic.
Steps UP Is Taking to Keep Customers Safe
Union Pacific is following CDC recommendations to ensure our employees are taking appropriate actions to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Specifically, our employees are taking the following steps:
- Maintaining six feet of social distancing in all areas when possible, including crew rooms and locomotive cabs.
- Wearing face coverings in all public settings when unable to physically social distance from other employees or customers.
- Maintaining space while entering and exiting locomotives.
- Practicing good hygiene, including proper hand washing.
- Disinfecting upon entering the locomotive cab. Crew packs are provided to train crews each shift containing hand sanitizer and alcohol wipes. Every locomotive cab is supplied with disinfectant spray and cloths to wipe down surfaces.
- Utilizing mobile devices for daily work orders (delivery schedules) to limit physical handling of papers between individuals.
- Staying home when sick and making appropriate notifications if suspected COVID infection.
- Letter for Locomotive Use Agreement (LUA) Customers Regarding Cleaning & Disinfecting Locomotives
Rail Network Status
Our rail network is currently fluid as there are no areas impacted for service due to COVID-19. Recently, the U.S., Canada and Mexico governments agreed to border restrictions on non-essential travel. These border closures do not apply to freight shipments related to international trade. We do not expect any impacts to shipments crossing the border at this time.
In addition, several states in the U.S. have issued “shelter in place” orders. However, on March 19, the Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Agency (CISA) issued an initial list of Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers that includes employees responsible for operating freight, passenger and commuter trains, as well as maintaining rail infrastructure and equipment. Likewise, many of our customers have also received exemptions from the shelter in place ordinances and continue to operate. Union Pacific will provide service to support communities in the continuity of functions critical to public health and safety, as well as economic and national security.
- Ensure key headquarters and plant personnel are registered with a MyUPRR user ID and password. This will allow access to open a case in Case Management and enables sign-up for important Union Pacific notifications. Register for a MyUPRR user ID and password now. Register for a MyUPRR user ID and password now.
- Once setup with a MyUPRR user ID and password, sign up for Marketing Notifications and select Customer News notifications to receive pandemic updates by email.
- Sign-up to receive Union Pacific embargo notices by logging into our notification dashboard and selecting Embargo Hold. You may also sign-up to receive all AAR embargoes.
COVID-19 Facility Closure Notification Process
Is your community or company under quarantine and need to take action with rail shipments? If your facility has or will experience a complete closure due to COVID-19, please provide the Command Center a timeline that specifies when plant operations will cease.
To provide Union Pacific this information, open a case in Case Management (user ID and password required). Select Create a Case in the Get Help box (without an equipment, train or car order) and select Facility Status Updates as the case reason. Please include the information outlined below in the Description Field.
- The timetable for ceasing plant operations
- Resumption of operations
- Request for service once facility is operational
Quick Links to Contact Union Pacific
- Divert inbound flow of cars via Diversion application. Request a Diversion now (user ID and password required).
- Re-bill inbound Rail Security Sensitive Material cars (Toxic Inhalation Hazard, Poison Inhalation Hazard) via Diversion application. Request a Diversion now (user ID and password required).
Review our current embargoes to see if your area is impacted.