Hurricane Planning and Recovery
- Current news impacting our rail network, view Customer News now.
- Response Management Communications Center: 800-272-8777
Report critical incidents affecting public safety.
Union Pacific has established the following best practices to follow during the hurricane season.
- Ensure key headquarters and plant personnel are registered with a MyUPRR user ID and password. This will allow access to open a case in Case Management and enables sign-up for important Union Pacific notifications. Register for a MyUPRR user ID and password now.
- Once setup with a MyUPRR user ID and password, sign up for Marketing Notifications > Customer News notifications to receive hurricane updates by email.
- Sign-up to receive Union Pacific embargo notices by logging into our notification dashboard and selecting Embargo Hold. You may also sign-up to receive all AAR embargoes.
Five days before storm makes landfall or as early as possible:
- Divert inbound flow of cars via Diversion application. Request a Diversion now (user ID and password required).
- Re-bill inbound Rail Security Sensitive Material cars (Toxic Inhalation Hazard, Poison Inhalation Hazard) away from storm reach via Diversion application. Request a Diversion now (user ID and password required).
- Notify Hurricane team of special requirements, including unit train and special switch requirements by opening a case in Case Management (user ID and password required) Please choose Special Requests as your case reason and choose either Request Special Switch or Request Special Train as the corresponding sub-reason.
- Notify Hurricane team of timetable for ceasing plant operations by opening a case in Case Management (user ID and password required). Select Create a Case in the Get Help box (without an equipment, train or car order) and select Facility Status Updates as the case reason.
After the storm as soon as possible.
Open a case in Case Management (user ID and password required). Select Create a Case in the Get Help box (without an equipment, train or car order) and select Track Status Update as the case reason. Please include the information outlined below in the Description Field.
- Damage or tracks out of service
- Estimated facility repair time
- Resumption of operations
- Request service when repairs complete
Review our current embargoes to see if your area is impacted.
Rail Car Inspection Required - Within a Customer Facility
AAR Interchange Rules - Rail Car Repairs
In accordance with AAR Interchange Rules, customers who are subscribers to the rules are responsible for any damage, including flood damage, occurring to cars in their control or possession. This includes cars that Union Pacific has delivered to a customer’s private track or facility.
❯*Per Rule A 2. – all interchange freight car owners must subscribe to the AAR Interchange Rules.
❯* Per AAR Rule 99 – Customers who are not subscribers to the AAR Interchange Rules are responsible for the actual cost of repairs to cars damaged, including by flood, while in their control or possession (including cars delivered to a customer’s private track or facility).
* Field Manual of the AAR Interchange Rules
In accordance with AAR Interchange Rules, rail cars damaged from hurricane flooding must go through a joint inspection with a Union Pacific Mechanical Representative and customer industry. Car owner is optional.
If you suspect or see that minimum water level has reached the “RED” line, take the following actions:
- Report to Union Pacific all rail cars and location. Includes: Private, System, Foreign owned equipment.
- Do not move rail cars until released by Union Pacific Mechanical Department.
- Report impacted rail cars by opening a case in Case Management (user ID and password required) and choose Shipment Delay as the case reason.
Schedule a Rail Car Inspection
To schedule an inspection, customer industry must schedule the inspection with a Union Pacific Mechanical Representative assigned to the car location area. See the current Service Unit map to identify the correct contact.
Mid-America Service Unit
Texoma Service Unit
South Texas Service Unit