AAR Open Top Loading or Closed Car Rule Updates
For Solicitations of Comments for Revision:
In accordance with the requirements of AAR Rule 123, comments are herein solicited and should be sent with any additional attachments to:
Manager-AAR Loading Rules and Damage Prevention
P.O. Box 11130
55500 DOT Road
Pueblo, CO 81001
Or send an email.
All comments received within 30 days from the date of the Circular Letter will be considered by the OTLR Committee prior to any action on the implementation of these changes.
Access More AAR Rules
All AAR open top loading and closed car loading standards are available online for free download.
As a courtesy, we are providing the following information to inform our customers about new AAR rule changes. For more information regarding AAR rule updates, please contact Brent Lichty, Senior Engineer - Shipment Quality.
Implementation of Revisions
- Circular Letter: C-13278 Implementation of Revisons to General Rule 11 (11.7.8) and General Rules 20 (20.4.3), Section 1 Open Top Loading Rules (OTLR)
- Circular Letter: C-13277 Implementation of Revisions to Figure 109 Section 2 - Beams, Steel, H and I, Maximum Size 42 in., 18 Ft Long and Overs, Webs Horizontal or Vertical - Bulkhead Flatcars, with Cushioning Devices (OTLR)
- Circular Letter: C-13277 Implementation of Revisions to Figure 124, Section 2 - Figure 124 is now ARCHIVED - (OTLR)
- Circular Letter: C-13276 Implementation of New Figure 88-K, Section 6 - Joint Light Tactical Vehicle (JLTV), 24,000 lbs. or less. (OTLR)
- Circular Letter: C-13271 Implementation of New Figure 400, Section 3 - Nacelle, Wind Turbine, Weight Up To 200,000 lbs. Each, Flatcar, Heavy Duty. (OTLR)
- Circular Letter: C-13268 Implementation of Revisions to Figure 22-D, Section 2 - Bars, Steel, Loose or Packaged, Single or Multiple Piles - Gondolas (OTLR)
- Circular Letter: C-13268 Implementation of Revisions to Figure 298, Section 2 - Pipe, Stee, Bare, Coated or Wrapped, 16 in. to 72 in. O.D., 80 Ft. Long - with Cushioning Devices and Fixed Contoured Bearing Pieces - (OTLR)
- Nonmetallic Strap Substitution for Doorway Protection (CCLG Part 1)
- GIS 803: Stretch Film Roping of Steel Coils and Coil Loading Methods for Railroad Shipments (CCLG Part 9, Section 4.4)
- GIS 802: 58 in. Diameter Paper Rolls T-Loaded in 60 ft. Boxcars with 16 ft. Double Plug Doors, Using Lenthwise Void Filler Panels (CCLG Part 2, Section 18.104.22.168.7; 22.214.171.124; 126.96.36.199)
- GIS 801: 49 in. Diameter Roll Paper in 52 ft. Cushioned Boxcars with 12 ft. Wide Plug Doors (CCLG Part 2, Section 8.4.1)
- GIS 800: 54 in. Diameter Paperboard on End Using Rubber Mats (ILG Method E-22)
- GIS 799: 46 in. to 57 in. Diameter Roll Paper on End Using Rubber Mats (ILG Method E-21)
- GIS 798: Intermodal Loads Secured with TY-Gard DS Barriers (ILG Method B-9)
- Circular Letter: C-13260 Implementation of Editorial Revisions to General Rule 19 and Appendix D, Section 1 Open Top Loading Rules (OTLR)
- Circular Letter: C-13259 Implementation of Revisions to Figures 14, 14-B, 29-G and 154-B, Section 2 AAR Open Top Loading Rules (OTLR)
- Circular Letter: C-13258 Implementation of Revisions to Figures 128, 267-A and 285, Section 2 AAR Open Top Loading Rules (OTLR)
- Circular Letter: C-13257 Implementation of Revisions to Figures 1-D and 55, Section 3 AAR Open Top Loading Rules (OTLR)
- Circular Letter: C-13255 Implementation of Revision to Figure 61, Section 5 AAR Open Top Loading Rules (OTLR)
- Circular Letter: C-13254 Implementation of Revision to Figures 58-A, 63-B and 101, Section 6 AAR Open Top Loading Rules (OTLR)