Claims and Disputes
Union Pacific seeks to generate accurate bills for services we perform. In situations where you have reason to dispute a bill or submit a claim, here are steps to take and contact information. If you need information for an issue not listed, please contact your UP representative.
Our systems are designed to find a match with shipment information, rating authorities, and account detail. If you find an error, you can dispute freight bills online through our Account on the Web (AOW) option. If you have any questions regarding AOW or need access, please contact our AOW Team Support Desk at 877-712-4687 or view the AOW reference guide.
Find out how to take proactive steps to minimize your demurrage bills in our Terms and Conditions section.
Resolving an error in your bill can be done the following ways:
- Send partial payment for agreed-upon charges to
Union Pacific Railroad
PO Box 502453
St. Louis, MO 63150-2453
- Invoices may be disputed online via Chargeable Events (CES).
- Invoices may be disputed online via Account on the Web (AOW), which is part of our secure customer portal. If you don't have access to that portal, please call 877-712-4687 to set up access.
- Invoices may be disputed via email: email@example.com
While we can't resolve demurrage bills over the phone, you can contact the team at 800-925-6396.
Other Accessorial Charges
These include most other charges for moving freight other than the freight bill, demurrage, or intermodal flips/detention. Examples include:
Union Pacific may require customers in selected market areas to submit disputes electronically; contact our Accessorial Team at 800-925-6396 for assistance. Be sure to have the following information availalble:
- Invoice number
- Car initial and number
- Waybill number
- Account number as shown on invoice
- Detailed reason for the dispute(s)
Freight Damage Claims
- See our Shipment Quality information.
Property Claims and Collections
We're focused on transporting products with safety as our number one priority. If property damage does occur, our Property Damage and Collections Group works to resolve claims as quickly and fairly as possible.
If you have a claim, contact our team via any of these options:
- Fax: 402-233-2131
- Phone: 877-877-2567, option #1
- Union Pacific National Claims Center
1400 Douglas St., MS1510
Omaha, NE. 68179