One of Union Pacific’s Employee Resource Groups, CONAH (Council of Native American Heritage) was formed in 2008 to assist the railroad with recruitment, retention and development of employees with Native American heritage and to build bridges to the Native American community.
The completion of the Transcontinental Railroad May 10, 1869, is recognized as one of our country’s biggest achievements and one of mankind’s biggest accomplishments. It’s been compared to the Apollo 11 moon landing in terms of the vision, dedication, innovation and collaboration needed to connect the country with a ribbon of rail.
Union Pacific steam locomotive No. 4014, the Big Boy, is in one piece again nearly two years after the behemoth was disassembled to begin its restoration.
With completion of steam giant No. 4014’s massive front engine restoration looming, the UP Steam Team has rebuilt and installed a cushion to cradle all that heavy metal: a brand new coil and leaf-spring suspension system.
Done. A single word telegraphed around the nation triggered champagne toasts, cannon booms from coast to coast, fireworks and the ringing of The Liberty Bell in Philadelphia. It was a celebration of the country’s greatest achievement – completion of the transcontinental railroad – and the joining of East and West. Reporters, politicians and workers heralded the completion as the Eighth Wonder of the World on May 10, 1869.
Union Pacific’s Steam Team has a new boring process that is anything but boring. Used to restore steam locomotive No. 4014’s main cylinders, Ed Dickens compares the 1930s-era “boring bar” to a spider.
- A Look Inside the Spine of the 'Big Boy' 01032018
- Locomotive Honors, Remembers Those Who Served 10272017
- Steam Update: Refurbishing an Articulated Locomotive Requires Plenty of Flexibility 08252017
- Steam Update: Forging Ahead with Big Boy's Restoration 05312017
- Move Over, Sir: Women Working on the Railroad 05052017
- Steam Update: No. 844 Readies for 2017 Excursions 03162017
- Steam Update: With Disassembly Complete, Big Boy Fabrication Underway 02012017
- Steam Update: No. 844 Readies for 'Trek to Tennessee' 10122016
- Steam Update: Big Boy No. 4014 Restoration Begins 08112016
- Locomotive No. 844 Makes First Return Journey 07132016
- With Testing Under Way, No. 844 Prepares for Frontier Days Debut 06232016
- Locomotive No. 844 Scheduled for Frontier Days Debut 05112016