Utilities and Drainage Installations
Crossing vs. Encroachment
A crossing is a pipeline or wireline that enters the railroad company's trackage from one side of the right of way to the other side of the right of way in as near a straight line as possible. These installations should follow Procedures for Pipeline Crossings or Procedures for Wireline Crossings. Or, you may use our new online application process.
An encroachment is a pipeline or wireline that enters the railroad company's right of way and either does not leave the right of way or follows along the right of way for some distance. These installations should follow Procedures for Encroachments.
Due to impacts from COVID-19
All application review times may extend beyond normal review times.
Union Pacific will continue to accept Rush review requests, however we are unable to guarantee our normal response times. We will make every effort to review and respond to Tier 1 Rush requests within 10 business days (normally 5) and to Tier 2 Rush requests within 20 business days (normally 15). All application and Rush fees are non-refundable once paid so please consider this before submitting your application and/or Rush fee. We appreciate your understanding during this time.
This online application process will allow you to complete an application for a wireline or a pipeline crossing, encroachment, a modification or maintenance request. This will save you time and money - avoiding the delays, expense and uncertainty of mailing applications to us. All applications mentioned above must be submitted online.
If an installation entails both an encroachment and a crossing, procedures for both must be followed in the application process. The application must be submitted through the encroachment and crossing option and the application can not be rushed.
If the installation method for this utility is to involve the use of a directional drilling method, specific guidelines established by the Railroad must be met. Union Pacific Railroad follows AREMA Manual for Railway Engineering Chapter 1 - PART 5 Pipelines. To purchase a copy of these AREMA guidelines send an Application to AREMA.
- Minnesota Utility Crossing Applications
- IMPORTANT NOTICE: Credit Card payment option is coming to the Union Pacific Railroad Utilities Online Application System in early 2021. Upon implementation, only major credit card and ACH payments will be accepted for application fees. Checks will no longer be accepted.
- Rush Application Form, (print a copy, complete and mail with check)
- Only crossing applications can be "Rushed."
- Pipeline crossings over 40 inches cannot be "Rushed."
- Deviations from standard engineering specifications cannot be "Rushed."
- Encroachment applications cannot be "Rushed."
UPRR Rush Handling fees:
- TIER I: $10,055.00 - Turnaround in 5 UPRR Business Days
- TIER II: $5,055.00 - Turnaround in 15 UPRR Business Days