Crossing vs. Encroachment
A crossing is a pipeline or wireline that enters the railroad company's trackage from one side of the right of way to the other side of the right of way in as near a straight line as possible. These installations should follow Procedures for Pipeline Crossings or Procedures for Wireline Crossings. Or, you may use our new online application process.
An encroachment is a pipeline or wireline that enters the railroad company's right of way and either does not leave the right of way or follows along the right of way for some distance. These installations should follow Procedures for Encroachments.
This online application process will allow you to complete an application for a wireline or a pipeline crossing, encroachment, a modification or maintenance request. This will save you time and money - avoiding the delays, expense and uncertainty of mailing applications to us. All applications mentioned above must be submitted online.
If an installation entails both an encroachment and a crossing, procedures for both must be followed. However, only one Application Form needs to be filled out. This single application must be accompanied by both the appropriate Exhibit "A" document (describing the crossing) and complete engineering plans (detailing the encroachment).
If the installation method for this utility is to involve the use of a directional drilling method, specific guidelines established by the Railroad must be met. Union Pacific Railroad follows AREMA Manual for Railway Engineering Chapter 1 - PART 5 Pipelines. To purchase a copy of these AREMA guidelines send an Application to AREMA.
- Minnesota Utility Crossing Applications
- Rush Application Form, (print a copy, complete and mail with check)
- Only crossing applications can be "Rushed."
- Pipeline crossings over 40 inches cannot be "Rushed."
- Deviations from standard engineering specifications cannot be "Rushed."
- Encroachment applications cannot be "Rushed."
** IMPORTANT NOTICE**
EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2018 THE ENCROACHMENT APPLICATION FEE WILL BE $3,055.00.
- Application fees for crossings, supplements, and maintenance application requests will remain the same - $505.00.
- Encroachment Applications shall be submitted online exclusively. The application fee of $1,055 will remain the same till end of 2017.
- Right of Entry Application Fees - $545 will remain the same.
UPRR Rush Handling fees:
TIER I: $10,055.00 - Turnaround in 5 UPRR Business Days
- TIER II: $5,055.00 - Turnaround in 15 UPRR Business Days